Finance Compliance OfficerCompany:
Pinsent Masons Location:
To support the Revenue Manager in the delivery of the law firms governance compliance. This is a varied and challenging role which may over time be developed to increase scope and responsibility Main duties and responsibilities:
- Review the client and matter opening arrangements in Milton including enhancing these to ensure complete compliance by improved monitoring and reporting.
- Ensure that clients and matters being opened in Milton have the correct financial fields attached to them i.e. : -
o Tax jurisdiction
o Bill group
o Matter currency
o Matter office
o VAT registration numbers for clients in the EU and all domestic clients in the Spanish and South African offices
- Working with the Intake team in relation to the above to ensure they are aware of these requirement for any existing or future Pinsent Masons offices.
- Regular follow up with Fee Earners and PA´s of clients and matters opened in Milton where the financial fields are incorrect.
- Identify, and report upon as necessary, cross-jurisdictional matters to ensure they are being opened in accordance with the firm´s protocol.
- Ensure matters being opened by lawyers in Belfast have the correct matter office attached to them. This will ensure matters will be billed by Pinsent Masons UK LLP when necessary.
- Review the quarterly VAT return queries that are highlighted by the Finance, Treasury and Compliance Team. Take the appropriate action as necessary.
- Check the letter of engagement where matters are flagged as contingent to confirm that to be correct.
- Where bills are rendered to clients in the EU using the B2B option to check that the necessary documentation is attached to the client in Milton and an appropriate note added to the client header in Aderant.
- Review bills that are reversed in the first week of a new month to identify and report upon the following: -
§ Training issues where a particular biller regularly uses the reversal reason of ´processing´ error by biller´s
§ Lawyers who are booking bills for inclusion in the month end figures
Qualifications: Relevant Experience:
- Perform a monthly audit to ensure the correct authority has been obtained, in accordance with the firm´s procedures, in relation to bill write downs (additional discount policy) and the raising of a credit note for a previously rendered bill.
- Produce a monthly report by matter partner in respect of hard disbursements written off and circulate to the Revenue Manager and Group Revenue controllers.
- At least 3 years experience within a Law Firm.
- Experience in the preparation of complex legal billing and other matter related finance information.
Personal Qualities/ Behaviours:
- Detailed working knowledge of the Solicitors Accounts Rules and VAT compliance.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral), particularly at Partner level.
- Conscientious, methodical and excellent attention to detail.
- High level of knowledge of systems/ IT literacy including knowledge of Aderant and Milton as well as excellent Word and Excel skills.
- Sound Time Management skills and ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- High standards of professionalism and in particular, confidentiality.
- Positive and pro-active attitude.
- Persuasive and tenacious.
- Ability to work on own initiative.
- Excellent team player with the ability to work unsupervised.
- Results driven.
- Ability to make informed decisions.
- Approachable and good at forming relationships with people at all levels within the firm, particularly at Partner level.
Other recent jobs in Birmingham